Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Green Horn Shrine



I don't do many sculptural pieces but sometimes I get inspired by weird objects that I find, similar to when I made that Junk Wind Chime with an old crushed beer can. I don't know why I get these urges to make things with discarded junk, I suppose it's the pack rat in me that hates to see "interesting" things get thrown away. Anyways, this project started out as a hollowed out styrofoam block. "Perfect shape for a shrine!" I thought. I also knew the perfect thing to honor - my fleeting youth. I had just moved out of my parents house again and I was feeling both horribly naive and painfully aged at the same time. What a strange feeling it is, to have to be an adult but still feel like a baby! And so I dedicated my shrine to that.

According to Webster, a Green Horn is "a person who lacks experience and knowledge." It brings visions of a young buck that is just coming of age- The prime of their life, strong and youthful, their horns still budding and new, fresh and green, full of arrogance and naivety. Sometimes I feel like that buck. So in that way, this piece is somewhat of a self portrait.



 I used a lot of difference media to create the shine itself. Pretty much anything I could get my hands on that reminded me of youth, wonderment, and an overblown sense of entitlement. Mainly just old jewelry and various string, though. I loved adding the layers of stuff - I wanted it encrusted with shiny whimsical trinkets. Also, the doors on the shrine are totally functional. I wanted to be able to display this piece as "reserved" or "out in the open."




















By the way, on the subject of shrines, I'm obsessed with them. There are so many beautiful examples out there of artist shrines that inspired me a lot. I love the idea of inserting symbols and relics into a shrine that are significant to only you, making them ultra personal and kind of "secretive" works of art for the viewer to decipher on their own.  Here are some amazing examples of artist shrines that embody those ideals. Some of their meanings are more obvious than others.

 By Jones Moore 
By Mai-Liss
By Collette Bain 
By Cindy La Ferle

Check out those artist pages for even more examples of shrines. Amazing work by talented people. Also, if this has got you curious on how to make your very own personal shrine, here are a few tutorials to get you started!

Shadow box shrines made with dollar store frames by Cut Out and Keep
Paper Shrine Template by Stampers Anonymous 

Make a Gratitude Shrine by Crizmac




No comments: