Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Emphasis

Differences from the "norm" are actually what make you special.

I have never been a person who could fit in with the crowd. For some reason or another (you make your own assumptions) I just stick out like a sore thumb. This is a blessing and a curse- needless to say, it guarantees to attract (sometimes unwanted) attention. When I was younger, being "different" was a lot harder to accept than it is now. I was ashamed of my differences instead of embracing them. Now I realize that being unique is something to be proud of. Being normal is plain and pretty much boring.

I made this piece while keeping all of that in mind. It may appear simple, but it has many layers and a wonderful texture. I achieved this by incorporating some gorgeous (and recycled!) paper doilies into the background. This was also my first real attempt at using  multi-color stencils, which were airbrushed in one by one.  I really enjoy this piece not only for it's concept but it's composition and technique. Its strong color palette and intriguing composition commands your attention.
This artwork was also featured in my AP Studio Art portfolio demonstrating the design theories emphasis and contrast.

If you're interested in buying the original, contact me for a negotiation of price.
Prints are also available. Each print is signed personally by me and come in a clear plastic sheet protector. 
$10.00

Maybe this piece can remind you to be strong in the face of adversity. It's COOL to be WEIRD!

1 comment:

Dom said...

This post reminded me of Don Draper from Mad Men for some reason. Also, this book talks a lot about not fitting in and using it to your advantage- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159184259X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d7_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0GXQKJ96RXZV8J3290FT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846